Mar 4, 2014

Happy Birthday!

Yesterday was Theodor Geisel's, better known as Dr. Seuss, Birthday!
Dr. Seuss is a part of every child's childhood, including mine.  
While growing up, my dad use to frequently quote us his favorite Dr. Seuss book, If I Ran the Zoo:

“It’s a pretty good zoo,” 
Said young Gerald McGrew, 
“And the fellow who runs it 
Seems proud of it too. 
But if I ran the zoo,” 
Said young Gerald McGrew,  
“I’d make a few changes.  That’s just what I’d do. 
The lions and tigers and that kind of stuff  
They have up here now are not quite good enough.  
You see things like these in any old zoo. 
 They’re awfully old­fashioned. 
I want something new! 
So I’d open each cage, I’ll unlock every pen,  
Let the animals go and start over again. . . 

Dad still quotes it for his grandkids today!

In honor of his birthday I thought I'd share a few of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes.

“You have brains in your head, you have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”

“Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”

“Will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)”

“With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.”

“You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the guy who’ll decide where to go."  

Do you know which book each quote came from?