Apr 4, 2014

General Conference Bags!

The event I look forward to every six months will finally begin again tomorrow!!!  My kids are excited and my youngest is almost beside herself.  She has been asking everyday for the last two weeks- "How many more days Mom?"  I think it's safe to say we love conference around here.  For years the hubs and I struggled with getting our kids to be still and quiet enough to watch General Conference.  
I saw this sign on Pinterest, from Making Precious Things Plain.  Isn't it awesome?

Finally, a few years ago I ran across a great idea (somewhere- sorry I tried to remember, but, as you can imagine, after having 6 kids my brain is a little fuzzy).  After a little tweaking we found the perfect thing that not only keeps our kids focused and watching General Conference, but also excited about it.  It has become a cherished tradition.  Let me share. . . .

Introducing:  CONFERENCE BAGS
We make 17 bags, a bag for each Member of the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency.  There are three bags for President Monson since he usually speaks 3 times.  Inside each bag is a treat.
This is this year's selection- one treat per bag. 

The activity is easy:  Whenever a member of the Quorum of the Twelve or First Presidency speaks, we find their bag, open it up, and eat whatever is inside.
 I've tried putting small toys and other activities in the bags, but they weren't as exciting and didn't keep my kids' attention like treats do.   What can I say -We love Junk Food!

What are some of your General Conference traditions?