Yesterday was a Regional Conference for all LDS members of Utah and Wasatch Counties. It was a fantastic meeting. I wish the Church would post the talks for these regional conferences. They are so fantastic and are worth reading, re-reading, and listening to again.
Today I want to talk about Elder Scott's talk. His talk was on communicating with our Father in Heaven. Here are some of the points from his talk from my notes.
- Prayer is a sacred privilege.
- Remember God is your Father and you are His child. He doesn't care if your feelings are clumsily expressed. - JUST TALK TO HIM!
- Quietly speaking your prayer, communicates better than silently thinking it in your head.
- Prayers are answered in 3 ways: 1.) With feelings of peace, comfort, assurance, confidence =yes answer 2.) With a sense of unsettled feelings, a stupor of thought =no answer 3.)You feel no response.
- Sometimes are prayers aren't answered right away because Heavenly Father would have us grow and exercise faith in Him.
- No answer is evidence of His trust in us. He knows what's best for us and what experiences we need.
- God usually gives us small promptings "line upon line" to make us work instead of giving us the whole answer right away. This causes you to grow, and so does your character and faith.
- Pray when you have no desire to pray. That is when you need to pray the most.
- Never feel you are too unworthy to pray. We have mediator who will help us work that out.
- Thank Him for all things. "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, . . ."
I've been working the last couple of months on really communicating with Heavenly Father. Not just praying, but asking questions and listening for His answers, then asking more questions and listening again.
I'm learning that true prayer, real prayer is a beautiful, wonderful thing!
MORE ABOUT PRAYER HERE
Over the weekend, #1 also bought himself a new car! It's a '01 Honda Accord. He's pretty stoked.