Mar 3, 2015

Continuing Revelation

by Elder Henry B. Eyring

The message of this talk was short and simple:
Revelation from God still continues today.  
If we have answers, all we need to do is ask, and God will (in His own time and way) give us the answers we are seeking through personal revelation.

"There are many . . . today who feel a pressing need for that blessing of personal revelation from our Heavenly Father."

"We all know that human judgment and logical thinking will not be enough to get answers to the questions that matter most in life.  We need revelation from God. And we will need not just one revelation in a time of stress, but we need a constantly renewed stream.  We need not just one flash of light and comfort, but we need the continuing blessing of communication with God."

We as latter-day saints are blessed with the knowledge that everyone can receive personal revelation for themselves and those they hold stewardship over. 

As a mother, the experience President Eyring shared of his mother waiting up for him to come home at night, and then inviting him into her room for "friendly talk".  He says that "to this day, what she said comes back to my mind with the same power I feel when I read the transcript of my patriarchal blessing."

The revelation she prayed for and received on behalf of her son, President Eyring, is still blessing his life today.

"The revelation of a parent has its lasting effect in the personal revelation that continues in the child."

As I mother, I need revelation from God daily, even hourly, to raise my children.  I cannot do it successfully without His help.  I too pray to receive revelation for the words God wants me to share with my children, and also to know what I should do in certain situation.  As long as I am doing everything in my power to qualify for the help and guidance of the Holy Ghost, that revelation comes.

I'm grateful for this revelation.  I'm also grateful for the revelation that comes to the leaders of the Church.  This revelation helps lead us and guide us as well.  I'm especially grateful to live in a day when there is a prophet of God on the earth.  President Eyring tells us:

"Don't take lightly the feeling you get of love for the prophet of God. . .It is a gift from God.  With it you will receive more easily the gift of confirming revelation when he speaks in his office as the Lord's prophet."

"That [love] is not easy to feel continually because the Lord often asks His prophets to give counsel that is hard for people to accept.  The enemy of our souls will try to lead us to take offense and to doubt the prophet's calling from God.  I have seen how the Holy Ghost can touch a softened heart to protect a humble disciple of Jesus Christ with confirming revelation."

I remember reading a comment on @newtestament365 on Instagram where the writer shared that she had a belly button ring, 2 earrings in one ear and 3 in the other and she was wanting to get more when the prophet came out and said only 1 ear piercing.  She thought "What's the big deal?  They're not hurting anyone."  It took her a few months but she was able to pray and receive her own confirming revelation that what the prophet had just revealed was true.  She chose to obey him and took out all her piercings except for one pair in her ears.

We took have the privilege of doing the same thing.  

"Heavenly Father hears your prayers.  He loves you.  He knows your name."
"I pray that you will receive the confirming revelation you need to find your way on the journey home again. . . ."