Apr 26, 2015

The Sabbath Is A Delight

The conference quote graphics I have created are free for your own personal or Church use.  Just click on the graphic - it should enlarge.  Then right click and "save image as" onto your computer. 
The Sabbath Is a Delight
by Elder Russell M. Nelson

One of my favorite quotes from the entire conference sessions was given by Elder Nelson at the beginning of this talk.  He said,

"The question for each of us is:  because of what I heard and felt during this conference, how will I change?"

How Will I change?  What things do I plan on doing differently or omitting from my life?
One of the things I plan to change is the way I view the Sabbath day.

This was an eye-opening talk for me.  I came away asking myself, "Is the Sabbath really a delight for me, and what can I change or do differently to make it so?"

We know that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath (Genesis 2:2-3.
"The Sabbath was a gift to us, granting real respite from the rigors of daily life and an opportunity for spiritual and physical renewal.  God gave us this special day, not for amusement or daily labor but for a rest from duty, with physical and spiritual relief."

I loved how Elder Nelson reminds us that "my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father."  Wow!  What sign am I giving Heavenly Father.  Am I grateful for this day of rest?  Am I using wisely?  Am I doing the things He would have me do on this holy day?

Elder Packer says:
"When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, 'What sign do I want to give to God?'  That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear."

"How can you ensure that your behavior on the Sabbath will lead to joy and rejoicing?  In addition to your going to church, partaking of the sacrament, and being diligent in your specific call to serve, what other activities would help to make the Sabbath a delight for you?  What sign will you give to the Lord to show your love for Him?"

"Not pursuing your "own pleasures" on the Sabbath requires self-discipline.  You may have to deny yourself something you might like.  If you chose to delight yourself in the Lord, you will not permit yourself to treat it as any other day.  Routine and recreational activities can be done done some other time."

"TRUE BELIEVERS KEEP THE SABBATH DAY HOLY"

Elder Nelson lists a few ideas of possible activities that would make the Sabbath a delight.  His list includes:
1.  Strengthen family ties, and teaching the gospel to your children.
2.  Doing Family History Work
3.Rendering service to others, especially those who are ill or who are lonely.