Jun 21, 2015

Fatherhood - Our Eternal Destiny

By Larry M. Gibson

I thought this talk would be perfect with today being Father's Day and all.
I know this talk was centered on fatherhood and being and becoming a father, however, I was able to relate it to myself.  Each time I saw the word father, etc, I switched it to mother.  It works!

OBJECT LESSON
I love the "Eternal Destiny" object lesson told at the beginning of his talk concerning the window, the silver dollar, and the mirror. Wouldn't it make an awesome FHE discussion?
For as long as I can remember, it has always been my hearts desire to be a mother.  Luckily it was my destiny.  My destiny now is to be the best mother I possibly can be.  To raise my six children to one day become righteous, loving, God-fearing mothers and fathers themselves, and to raise their children to become the same.

Brother Gibson says, "I loved my father and how he taught.  I wanted to be just like him.  He planted in my heart the desire to be a good father. . . "

This statement caused me to reflect on my own parenting strategies.  Is what I'm doing, and how I'm acting as a mother planting in the hearts of my children the desire to be a good parent?

"The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for [whatsoever things He] doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise" (John 5:19)

"I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me" (John 8:28)

These scriptures couldn't be more true. Our children do what we do and what we teach them to do.  I can remember years ago when I had a house full of little kids.  Whenever I would get frustrated or upset with a child, I would clap my hands loudly to get their attention.  The next thing I knew, my two oldest (probably 4 and 5 at the time) started clapping loudly whenever one of their siblings would upset them.  This was a much needed wake-up call!  I realized that indeed my children were learning from my example and that I needed to change a few a lot of things. 

I echo the words of Brother Gibson when he says:
"I love being a husband and father - married to a chosen daughter of heavenly parents.  I love her.  It is one of the most fulfilling parts of my life.  My hope that night was that my five sons and their sister would always see in me the joy that comes from eternal marriage, fatherhood, and family."

MY GOAL
This is my goal.  I hope, pray, and wish with every being of my soul that my three sons, and three daughters will always see in me the joy that comes from eternal marriage, fatherhood, and family!

-Do they know how much I love and cherish their [father] and how much I love being their [mother]?

-Are they learning how to treat their future [spouse] and children as they watch [me] treat each one of them just as Heavenly Father would?

-Through [my] example, are they learn[ing] how to respect, honor, and protect womanhood [and manhood]?

-In [my] home, [are] they . . .learn[ing] to preside over their family in love and righteousness,. . .[and] to provide the necessities of life and protection for their family - temporally and spiritually?

My goal is to always be able to answer "YES!" 

This talk reminded me of Sister Elaine Dalton's October 2011 talk on Father's being Heros.  You can READ it HERE.