Aug 16, 2015

Therefore They Hushed Their Fears

by Elder David A. Bednar

Fear=an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

"In our daily lives, endless reports of criminal violence, famine, wars, corruption, terrorism, declining values, disease, and the destructive forces of nature can engender fear and apprehension. . . "

Fear is a part of life.  In fact Elder Bednar says, "This potent emotion is an important element of our mortal existence."  Did you catch that?  Fear is an important part of our mortal experience.  Why? What is God's purpose in having us experience fear?  As with everything, it is to bring us closer to Him.  Through our fears we learn to trust Him and put our faith in the hands of the Savior.

Have you heard the saying
"Let Go, Let God"?
or
"If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it."

If we will look to Christ, build our foundation upon Him, and press forward with faith, our fears, worries, and anxieties can be dispelled and hushed.

". . . Look to God and live." (Alma 37:47)
"We should look to and have our focus firmly fixed upon the Savior at all times and in all places."

In his talk, Elder Bednar gives the example of Peter walking on water.  As long as Peter kept his focus on the Savior, he was fine, but as soon as he shifted his focus to the boisterous wind, fear crept in and he began to sink. "Lord, save me."
"And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?" (Matthew 14:30-31)
I have had 100's of these "Peter Moments" in my life. Times when I place my focus on the scary stuff of the world.  I take my focus off of the Savior.  I lose faith, and that's when I get scared, and anxious, and worried. God gives us these experiences as an opportunity to strengthen our faith and as a reminder that He is in control.  I have no control over any of that stuff.  God has control over it all, Once I trust and place my focus on Him and my Savior and let them take the reins (This is the hard part for me.), the fear, anxiety, and worry leave and peace takes their place.

"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not" (D&C 6:36)

"The peace Christ gives allows us to view mortality through the precious perspective of eternity and supplies a spiritual settledness. . . "
"Exercising faith in and on the holy name of Jesus Christ, meekly submitting to His will and timing in our lives and humbly acknowledging His hand in all things yield the peaceable things of the kingdom of God that bring joy and eternal life."

The lesson to be learned: Trust God and His plan for us.  Submit to His will and timing, and acknowledge His hand in our lives.