Oct 18, 2015

A Summer with Great-Aunt Rose

by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
This was my favorite talk from the Women's session of General Conference.  It was all about Happiness. What is it about President Uchtdorf and his ability to give really awesome talks?! 

I loved the happy Great-Aunt Rose character in his story. President Uchtdorf describes her as a woman who was always singing and laughing while she worked. She had a close personal relationship with God, and would always say beautiful prayers thanking God for every little things.   Everyone loved to be around Great-Aunt Rose. I think the quote "Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy too!" totally applies to her. 

At the end of his story, President Uchtdorf tells us the secret to how Great-Aunt Rose became so happy, and how we too can choose to be happy ourselves.

Choose to Be Happy By:

1. Look for the Good
"There is enough that doesn't go right in life, so anyone can work themselves into a puddle of pessimism and a mess of melancholy.  But I know people who, even when things don't work out, focus on the wonders and miracles of life.  These folks are the happiest people I know."

"God didn't design us to be sad.  He created us to have JOY."
(2 Nephi 2:25)

2. TRUST GOD
". . . faith and hope gave me confidence that one day everything would make sense, that because of the Savior, all the wrongs would be made right. After that, I saw that the path before me wasn’t as dreary and dusty as I had thought. I began to notice the bright blues, the verdant greens, and the fiery reds, and I decided I had a choice—I could hang my head and drag my feet on the dusty road of self-pity, or, I could have a little faith, put on a bright dress, slip on my dancing shoes, and skip down the path of life, singing as I went."
"Faith gave me the hope I needed to live joyfully now!”

3. Have Patience
"So if we trust Him, He will help us to notice the good, bright, hopeful things of life. And sure enough, the world will become brighter. No, it doesn’t happen instantly, but honestly, how many good things do? Seems to me that the best things, like homemade bread or orange marmalade, take patience and work.”

4. Believe in Happy Endings
 "Faith in the Savior taught me that no matter what happened in the past, my story could have a happy ending.”

5. Love
"When we love God, we want to serve Him. We want to be like Him. When we love our neighbors, we stop thinking so much about our own problems and help others to solve theirs.. . .That is what makes us happy."