Mar 12, 2012

Helping Children Become Independent -part 2


2. TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO WORK
This is a hard one for me.  I don't have a good work ethnic, and with my health problems on top of that. . .well, let's just say Hard Work is not my favorite.  In the Ensign article it states

"Children who learn to work enjoy high levels of self-esteem and confidence. . .Work builds and refines character and creates beauty."

Want happy beautiful children?  Teach them to work.  I'm lucky that my husband came from a family where he learned the value of hard work.  He can really get my kids to work.  So how do we do WORK in our family?  Each child has chores they have to do before they're allowed to play with friends, or on the computer, etc.  It's usually to clean their room, and then a random chore that I need help with that particular day.  I try to make work a game for the little ones.  Setting the timer before picking up a room to see if we can beat the clock, and other silly games like that.

We also make all of our kids work for their spending money.  We do not give an allowance, so if they want something extra (cell phone, new outfit, movie ticket, toy, etc), they work for pay.  The older kids will baby-sit family and neighbor, and the younger ones will do extra chores.  We hope that this is teaching them the importance and value of work and money.  And one day they will be able to provide for and sustain a family of their own.  (We do eventually want them out of the house!)

Ok, it's your turn.  How do you teach and get your children to work? 

Interested in more of this topic? Check out this Book!!! and this list from the book.

Come back for Part 3 Tomorrow!