Oct 16, 2014

Welcome to Conference

and to General Conference Club!
I'm changing up how I do General Conference Club.
This time, I'll be going in order, and I'll be posting randomly during the week instead of on Sundays.

by President Thomas S. Monson

Every conference, I feel that the speakers always know and say exactly what I need to hear and do.  This conference was no exception.  I felt the Spirit in every talk,  The speakers definitely "sought heaven's help concerning the messages. . .and. . .felt inspiration regarding [was] said."

It was interesting to note the two anniversaries the October 2014 conference celebrated.

1.  The 90-year anniversary of general conference being broadcast by radio.  That must have been an exciting time for the people back in 1924!  I can just imagine how exciting it must have been for families to gather around their large radio and hear the words and messages of the prophet, then Heber J. Grant.

2.  The 65-year anniversary of conference television broadcasts.  "In October 1949, the sessions were first televised throughout the Salt Lake area. . . ."  I wonder how many families had TV back in 1949?

I couldn't agree more with President Monson when he said,
"We acknowledge the blessings of modern media in allowing millions of members of the Church to watch or listen to general conference."  

How blessed we are that general conference is now broadcast via not only radio and television, but cable, satellite transmission, and the Internet, including on mobile devices.  Can you imagine what people 90 and even 65 years ago would think if they could see us watching conference on our telephones?  HA!

The next fact I found fascinating is that "when all the previously announced temples are constructed and dedicated, we will have 170 operating temple throughout the world."  What a blessing.  Temples literally dot the earth now.  There were 16 operating temples when I was born in 1977.  There are 143 operating temples to date!  It is incredible to me that 127 temple have been dedicated during my lifetime, and I'm only in my 30's!

In 1982 Elder Bruce R. McConkie prophesied that:  "We expect to see the day when temples will dot the earth, each one a house of the Lord; each one built in the mountains of the lord; each one a sacred sanctuary to which Israel and the Gentiles shall gather to receive the blessings of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Perhaps they will number in the hundreds, or even in the thousands, before the Lord returns."[Bruce R. McConkie, The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Company, 1982), 277.]

How awesome would it be to have 1000 temples?

Last but not least, I'm amazed at how quickly the Church is growing.
"The Church continues to grow.  We are now more than 15 million strong and increasing in numbers.  Our missionary efforts are going forward unhindered.  We have over 88,000 missionaries serving, sharing the gospel message the world over."

I think of how proud the early pioneers must be to know that their sacrifice was worth it!  The Church is now over 15 million strong with 88,000 missionaries sharing the gospel to others everyday!  WOW!

Speaking of missionary work, President Monson reaffirmed that "missionary work is a priesthood duty, and we encourage all worthy and able young men to serve.  We are very grateful for the young women who also serve.  They make a significant contribution, although they are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men."  

As a mother, I pray for the worthiness of all my children.  As I train and teach my children I do so with the goal that they will grow up with the desire and worthiness to serve God as missionaries one day.

During our "club meetings", as we discuss the talks from October's general conference, it is also my desire that ". . . our hearts be touched and our faith increased".

What impressed you the most about President Monson's opening talk or about conference in general?  Please share your thoughts below in the comments.
OR
If you've written a post on a general conference talk please share your link with us in the comments.

Thank you for all who have commented on "General Conference Club" posts or sent me emails.  You insights and comments are always amazing.  I love learning from you.
-Rachael