Nov 11, 2014

Miracles

"Have miracles ceased? Behold I say unto you, Nay; neither have angels ceased to minister unto the children of men.  For behold, they are subject unto him, to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness." 
Moroni 7:29-30

The hand of the Lord has definitely been in my life.  He has blessed me with many miracles.  One such miracle happened exactly a year ago today.  It has affected me deeply and has changed me in many ways.  I feel I need to share it. (Please don't judge)

 A year ago, I had just send the older 5 off to school and was finishing getting dressed for the day when I heard the big wall mirror in my bedroom fall down.  I immediately called for my youngest, #6, hoping she would answer me from somewhere else in the house, at the same time, I lifted up the huge heavy still intact mirror.  (MIRACLE #1 THE MIRROR WAS COMPLETELY FINE NOT EVEN A SINGLE CRACK.) To my utter horror, there was my tiny, 30 lb, baby girl underneath that 7 ft, 70 lb mirror that had just fallen on top of her.  She was pale and lifeless.  I called her name and tried to wake her.  No response.  I was sure she was dead.  Then I noticed her eyes roll back into her head and I with relief, realized she was still breathing.  Panic set in.  I scooped her up into my arms and started rushing to the car.  It's funny how in these types of situations you forget everything logical, and just react.  Before I even made it out of my room, I somehow had the thought "Call 911".   Looking back, I know angels were there helping me to act and think logically.  MIRACLE #2).
After what seemed like 10 minutes, but probably more like 15 seconds,  I finally located my phone and fumbled around (again, it's amazing how crazy your mind gets) trying to remember the password to unlock it, and then trying to figure out how to get to the phone part to place a call. . . it was crazy.
My kids often quote  Buckwheat's line from the movie Little Rascals:  "Quick, what's the number for 9-1-1?"  That was me this day.
 Finally I figured it out and after what seemed like forever someone answered.  They asked me for my address, which I had a hard time remembering too.  Finally I was able to give them my address and the police and paramedics were on their way. While waiting for someone to show up, and still on the phone answering questions with 9-1-1 (They won't let you hang up until someone gets there- probably because they know how crazy and illogical you are), #6 started whining and a couple minutes later crying. 
She was conscious when the police officer (who beat the ambulance by about 5 minutes) arrived. He gave her a stuffed animal and kept talking to the both of us until the paramedics arrived. (God bless Officer Rodger).

The EMTs checked her pupils were fine, no bumps on her head, no cuts, no broken bones, no internal bleeding they could feel. (MIRACLE #3) They left telling me to just watch her and take her to the doctor if I couldn't wake her up from a nap, or if she started vomited, or walking or acting funny. 

After they left, she slept for 2 hours. She woke up on her own and was acting somewhat okay, just really quiet.  She slept another 2 hours and woke up more like herself, but was complaining of a tummy ache. I thought she was hungry, since she didn't have an appetite earlier, and so I gave her a piece of bread. She immediately threw it up. A while later, she ate a little peppermint candy, that Clint had brought home for her.  She immediately threw that up. All the while she was just wanting to lay down on the couch or have someone hold her. I was worried and knew I wouldn't sleep unless we took her to the doctor and had him check her out. 

Luckily, we were able to get her into an after hours clinic just as they were closing. (MIRACLE #4). The doctor thoroughly checked her out. He told us how lucky we were that 1.-She was alive, & 2.- The mirror didn't break. (All this we already knew.)  He also diagnosed her with having a major concussion. 

So for the next week or so our little miracle child was put on complete bed rest. We had to wake her  up every 3 hours (even during the night) and ask her to do a simple command. No activity, no tv, iPads, computers, etc. anything that will stimulate her mind for a week. She needed to let her brain heal. 

When we got home, Clint and our neighbor gave her a Priesthood blessing and 
the next morning she woke up back to her normal self and hungry as a bear! (MIRACLE #5).  Unfortunately, the doctor told us to start her out on high calorie liquids and work up to solids when her stomach could tolerate them again. And boy did she.

This experience shook up my entire family.  It made us all so grateful to still have our little #6 and that was she okay.  
Time together is precious.  Don't waste a single second of it.

For those who may be concerned:  The mirror was tethered to the wall that night!