Jan 6, 2015

If you Love 'em. Show 'em.

 One of my goals for this year is to CONNECT more with each one of my kids.
To play more with them. To love on them more.  To discover and fulfill their love language.
I want them to know how grateful I am to be their mother.  How are important they are, and that my world would be so sad without them in it.
 Each week I decided to focus on one child. 
This week I'm focusing on this sweet girl.  She is my 5th child, but my 2nd girl.  Her personality is a lot like mine.  She can be bossy, and ornery one second, but sweet, kind, caring, and compassionate the next.  She, like me, has the love language of quality time.  She likes attention, lots of one-on-one time, and prefers smaller more intimate groups rather than large big parties.
 Yesterday, I set out to "Rock her world" with my 'mama love', but it didn't happen. 
Today, in the wee small hours of the morning, as I was pondering what went wrong, I came to the conclusion that I can't give her the attention and time she needs while trying to also give time and attention to other things. dinner, the dishes, social media, etc DUH!
I decided that I need to take care of everything that might be a 'distraction' before she wakes or while she's at school, so I can give her my all when I'm with her.  This morning I got up at my usual early time-15 minutes past dark- got dressed for the day.  Did my morning devotional, and had breakfast.  I think she must have know what I was up to and she wanted to test me because she woke up almost an hour earlier than she usually does.  So I stopped what I wanted to do, and hung out with her.
I sat with her while she ate her breakfast.  I helped her work on some homework.  We played dolls together, and made her lunch together.  AND I did not look at my phone-nope, not even once.

All morning my mantra was a twist on the popular poem:

Cleaning and scrubbing (and getting dressed)
can wait till tomorrow.
For children grow up
I've learned to my sorrow.
So settle down dishes
dust go to sleep (and floors- you mop yourself)
I'm playing with my baby
cause babies don't keep.


Awesome New Year's Read HERE