Jan 16, 2015

Yes, Lord, I Will Follow Thee

by Elder Eduardo Gavarret

Last year I studied the Book of Mormon, this year it's the New Testament.  
(I am following along with using the @newtestament365 Instagram group - you should join us.)
So far, even in though I'm still in Matthew, I've read many times Christ invitation for all to "Come unto Him".   Those that do, are blessed beyond measure.  Those that don't, well. . . .they're not.

This is what Elder Gavarrat's talk is all about, accepting Christ's invitation to follow Him and  be blessed.

"The invitation to "follow Him" is the most simple, direct, and powerful invitation we can receive."

"The Lord invites us using various verbs:  "Come unto me,"  "Follow me," "Walk with me."  In each case it is an invitation to act."

How do I ACT on Christ's various invitations?  I cannot walk with Him while sitting.  I cannot Follow Him by choosing to go my own way, and I cannot come unto Him by going in the opposite direction.

COME UNTO ME
"One who is a member of the Church and has accepted this invitation renews the commitment each week by partaking of the sacrament.  Part of that commitment includes keeping the commandments; by doing so you are saying, "Yes, Lord, I will follow Thee!""
"As you strive to come to Him, you will gain the power to relieve life's burdens, whether physical or spiritual, and experience a positive inner change that will help you be happier."

FOLLOW ME
"Follow me" was the Lord's invitation to the rich young ruler.  The rich man had kept the commandments throughout his life.  When he asked what more he could do, he received an answer with a clear invitation:  "Come. . . . follow me."  However, even though the invitation was simple, it was not without sacrifice.  It required effort- coupled with decision and action."

Unfortunately, this story does not have a happy ending.  The young ruler, who desired to do better and be more, just could not part with his stuff - his wealth and possessions.  He declined the Savior's invitation to be one of His disciples.
I think each day we too are invited by the Savior, "Follow Me".   Am I, like the young ruler, too attached to the things of the world - cell phones, television shows, stylish but immodest clothing, power, wealth, etc- that I also decline the Savior's invitation?

WALK WITH ME

"Walk with me"- an invitation that, like a blind man's cane or a friend's arm, can guide the footsteps of one whose step is not sure."

Sometimes in life (okay a lot of times in life) I am unsure what to do, and where to go.  When I accept the Savior's invitation to "Walk with Me" and take His hand, letting him lead me and be in control, great things always happen.

What Steps can we take today to "Walk With Him"?

1.  Feed the desire to be a better follower of Christ.
Elder Neil A. Maxwell said, "What we insistently desire, over time, is what we will eventually become and what we will receive in eternity."

Desiring to be more Christ-like is a good start.  This video HERE and also the Christlike Attribute Activity in the Preach my Gospel manual inspire me and help me with my desire to become more like Christ.

2.  Pray for this desire that your faith in Him may grow.

3.  Obtain knowledge from the scriptures, lighting the way and strengthening your desire to change.

4.  Make the decision today to act and say, "Yes, Lord, I will follow Thee!"  Simply knowing the truth will not change your world unless you turn knowledge into action.

What is ONE thing I can eliminate or add to my life that will bring me closer to Christ?

5.  Persevere in the decision you have made by exercising these principles daily.

Following Christ has never been easy or popular.  It requires sacrifice, and a lot of hard work.  It is worth it.  The blessings and power that come from Following Him and Walking with Him are so worth it.

""Come unto me," "Follow me," and "Walk with me" are invitations containing inherent power- for those who accept them- to transform your life and generate a change within you. . . . "

"May we make the decision today to increase our level of worship and commitment to God, and may our response to His invitation be heard loud and clear:  "Yes, Lord, I will follow Thee!""