Jun 16, 2015

Lesson Learned

Last night we had to run a quick errand to the store.  I stepped out of the car and waited for the two littles to get out and join me.  Parked next to us was an old rusted run down car, windows cracked. On the passenger side of this car was a man, probably in his mid 20's.  He was not well groomed, and looked - well, scary- for lack of a better word.  He spotted my girls and said, "Hey do you want a dollar?"  My guard immediately went up. What was he wanting?  What was he trying to do?  It turns out that he had locked his keys in the car and was willing to pay one of my girls to stick their small arm through one of the slightly cracked windows of his car to unlock it.  

I'm ashamed to admit my first thought was to ignore him and keep walking.  Luckily, I'm married to a kind, caring, and very compassionate man who desires to serve others, all others, even the scary ones.  Clint took the girls over by the man, lifted them up, and urged them to stick their arm through the tiny crack to see if they could reach the unlock button.  Each girl tried and tried.  They could fit their arm through up to their elbow, but no matter how much they stretched their fingers they still could not reach the unlock button.  After several minutes and with the help of a pencil I just happened to have in my purse, #5 was able to hit the button and unlock this man's car.  

Once the car was unlocked, he offered the girls $10 dollars for their help (which we did not accept).  He explained that he had asked several others to help him and everyone said they were too busy.  BAM!  Slap to the face!  I was so ashamed that I had almost done the same thing.  I almost let my prejudice and judgement prevent us from an awesome experience.  Lesson Learned.

READ THIS!