Aug 18, 2015

Progress

I posted about this on Instagram, so this may be old news to some.

The picture on the right is me last August 2014, after I had been running daily. The one on the right was taken two weeks ago (August 2015).  Notice any difference? 

Remember last summer when I embarked on a daily "lose the jiggle" exercise program.  By the end of the summer I was running 5 miles 5-6 times a week?  I lost a grand total of 1 pound and gained a bad knee and ankles in the process.

Remember last November/December when I took on the challenge of my first Whole30 and lost 14 lbs without any exercise?  (If you're wondering what the heck a Whole30 is you can read more about it HERE HERE and HERE.)  In January I did another 30 days just to make sure my new healthy eating habits were well established.  I felt 1000 times better.  My hormones were balanced for the first time in years.  My chronic fatigue was gone.  I was finally sleeping through the night, and waking up feeling refreshed and not tired.  My skin was clear - no more zits on my forehead or on my chin.

After my second Whole30, I switched to a mostly paleo diet. I do allow myself a cheat every once in a while, (after all you only live once and life is to be enjoyed and that includes eating yummy things.) but mostly my "treats" are made from honey instead of sugar, and nut flours instead of all-purpose flour.  Our meals now are mostly vegetable/fruit based with a side of protein. Once school begins, I'm hoping to share some of my new favorite recipes.  (I haven't decided if I plan to post them here or on my recipe website.  More about that later once I've decided.)  
It's been 9 months since I first began this new lifestyle.  I've lost almost 20 pounds, and who knows how much body fat.  I feel better than I have in years. I'm convinced that health does not come from a prescription, or an exercise program (although exercise is a still a good thing).  Health comes from the kitchen.  It's in what you eat and what you don't eat.  I know from personal experience that "You cannot outrun a bad diet".  You just can't.  I'm so grateful to God for finally helping me to understand that.

ps- You should see my mama!  She and I did our first Whole30 together.  She looks amazing! As soon as I find a picture that really shows her incredible transformation, I'll post it.
Seriously, you're mind will be blown!