Jan 28, 2016

When you Forget, I'll remind you

"Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them. . ."
-2 Peter 1: 12

Reminder #1:
I'm not proud to admit that I've been subtly, but constantly, complaining that only having one washer and dryer wasn't enough for our large family.  I was frustrated that every time (every single time) I would go to put in a load of laundry, someone else's clothes were already in.
As always, whenever I  get proud and forget to count my blessings, the Lord is always there to help me remember.
A couple weeks ago, after finally beating everyone to the washing machine, I put my wet clothes into the dryer. I hit the button to start the cycle, but nothing happened. 
NOoooo!
It was broken! I immediately called my repair man (aka, my husband, Clint).  He diagnosed it with a blown motherboard (dang technology!), everything else is fine, but the computer just can't tell it to go.
UGH!
The kicker is that a new motherboard is almost as much as a new dryer, which we don't have the money for right at the moment - so. . . .
the air-hockey table and every chair we can spare has become our new "dryer".
(With the exception of that one time I almost got mugged at the Laundromat.)
And just in case you don't know -Air drying just doesn't dry the same way a dryer does.  No matter how much fabric softener you add, your clothes are still rough.
(The kids are loving wearing scratchy, crusty underwear. - I'm being sarcastic here peeps.)
and it takes about a day and a half for a pair of jeans to dry. You really have to plan ahead.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Lord is quick to chastise us and to remind us. 
I can just imagine the Lord saying:
"Oh she thinks she's got it bad with just one washer and dryer, let's see how she does with only a washer and NO dryer.  Maybe then she'll humble herself and be grateful for all that she has."

Reminder #2
Apparently I didn't learn my lesson with Reminder #1.
Last night I was complaining to myself about a part of my body that I hate-
my teeth.
We had just taken a family picture and sure enough, my eye was drawn to my teeth. I was moping around all night, silently criticizing myself for having such ugly teeth.
(Don't Judge. I know it's petty)
Guess how the Lord reminded me this time?

Last night in the middle of my moping, #6 slipped and fell in her feety pajamas while holding a marker. 
The marker hit her front teeth and chipped them like a professional hockey player.
As I was holding and comforting my poor little girl, the Spirit whispered to me:
"Be grateful for the teeth you've been blessed with, it could be worse."


Reminder #3 & 4
Then to make sure He really drove the point home, first this quote showed up in my insta-feed this morning.

And if that wasn't enough of a reminder, in my scripture study this morning, I was reading in 1 Nephi 18 where Nephi's brothers tied him up on the ship for 4 days.  In verse 16 Nephi says, "Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions."

The Lord is so good to us. When we're quick to forget, and we start to murmur and complain, He will remind us of just how blessed we really are.
It is up to us to trust Him, heed his reminders, and make the necessary changes in our attitude and behavior.
"O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him."
-Psalms 34:8