Feb 15, 2016

Your Next Step

by Elder Randall K. Bennett


"With childlike humility and willingness to focus on our Father in Heaven and our Savior, we take steps toward Them, never giving up hope, even if we fall.  Our loving Heavenly Father rejoices in each and every faithful step, and if we fall, He rejoices in each effort to get back up and try again."

This was so encouraging to me. I loved Elder Bennett's ananlogy of a baby learning to walk.
I often get frustrated because, as hard as I try to learn how to walk this life, I always fall short. I always mess up. Each morning I make the goal that no matter what, I'm going to be nice to everybody. But by 9:00am, I've already yelled at at least one of my kids, lost my patience with the neighbors stupid dog, and cursed at the crazy drivers on the way to take my kids to school. WHOOPS!  So much for being kind to every one.
You know what though? Heavenly Father rejoices in my attempts to be kind, even when I fall and fail miserably. He's still proud and excited for my attempts. As long as I sincerely keep on trying, He will continue to rejoice even though I'm not perfect.  He knows that practice makes perfect, and luckily this life provides us a lot of practice opportunities.

". . . The Lord will guide us to -and through- our next steps.  He will more than match our efforts with His power is we are willing to keep trying, repenting, and moving forward with faith in our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ."
"We fail only if we fail to take another step forward."

"We will not, we cannot, fail if we are faithfully yoked to the Savior- He who has never failed and will never fail us!"