Apr 5, 2015

Our Personal Ministries

by Elder Hugo E. Martinez

"He who serves in some thing is good for something; he who serves in no thing is good for nothing."
-Brother Udine Falabella

"[The Savior] recognizes the great worth of each of Heavenly Father's children and that it is essential for us to ensure that each individual is ministered to and strengthened by the gospel of Jesus Christ."

"The love of Jesus Christ must be our guide if we are to become aware of the needs of those we can help in some way."

"I testify to you that Heavenly Father and our Lord Jesus Christ, know us individually and personally.  For that reason, They provide what we need so we will have the opportunity to reach our divine potential.  Along the road, They place people who will help us.  Then, as we become instruments in Their hands, we are able to serve and help those They show to us by revelation.

A few months ago I shared an experience where Heavenly Father met my need through someone else.  I will share it again here:

A few weeks ago I was having a particularly rough morning.  I had received some devastating news.  I knew it was coming, but when it officially came, it hurt.  And it hurt bad!  I held myself together until I dropped the last of the children off to school.  As soon as I walked in the door, I immediately began to pray.  I cried and sobbed, and cried and sobbed as I told Heavenly Father how disappointed I was, how much I hurt, and how frustrated I was.  I was feeling like a failure, and a  terrible mother.  I was having myself a grand ol' pity party! 

 I kid you not, the second I ended my prayer, the doorbell rang.  No way was I going to answer the door.  I had just been crying my eyes out, and my face showed it.
A few minutes later I received a text from a friend informing me that she had left something at my door.  Sure enough, on my porch was a bucket of candy, this picture of the Savior, 

and a copy of the conference talk "You Can Do It Now!"by President Uchtdorf.   At the end of this talk, President Uchtdorf says, ". . . My dear friends, there will be times when you think you cannot continue on.  Trust the Savior and His love.  With faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the power of hope of the restored gospel, you will be able to walk tall and continue on."

 I messaged back my friend and explained what I had just been doing and why I didn't answer the door.  She told me she was led to my door.  She knew she needed to reach out to me.  

Coincidence?  No.  It wasn't at all.  The Lord sent an angel to comfort me and help me during my time of need, to remind me that He is there, He has a plan, and everything is going to be okay.  I am so grateful she chose to listen to the Spirit that day. 

"We have the special opportunity to be instruments in His hands.  We can be so in our marriages, in our families, with our friends, and with our fellowman.  That is our personal ministry as true disciples of Jesus Christ."